The Mayerson Law Offices P.C.

To schedule a consultation with one of our insurance attorneys, contact our Chester County office, also serving Pottstown and King of Prussia, today.

The Mayerson Law Offices P.C.
3540 Schuylkill Road Rte 724
Spring City, Pennsylvania 19475
Ph. 610.906.1966

Map & Directions

Pottstown, PA Personal Injury Attorney

FAQs – Auto Insurance – Attorneys Serving Chester County, Pottstown, and King of Prussia

At The Mayerson Law Offices P.C., we know that auto accident, truck accident, and motorcycle accident victims have many important questions regarding their insurance policies. Our attorneys, practicing out of Chester County, between Pottstown and King of Prussia, provide answers to some of our clients’ most frequently asked questions.

What is UIM/UM coverage and why is it important?

UIM and UM refer, respectively, to uninsured and under-insured motorist coverage. This type of coverage acts as a safeguard for drivers who are involved in an auto accident with another driver who is uninsured. When you purchase an insurance plan with UIM and UM coverage, you are guaranteed some degree of compensation after an accident, even if the other motorist has no liability coverage. This means that your insurance company will cover any expenses that the uninsured at-fault driver’s insurance company would otherwise pay.

UIM and UM coverage are extremely important to the safety of you and your family. When you purchase UIM and UM coverage, you are protected against financial setbacks such as medical expenses, lost wages, and other losses that you would otherwise incur if the at-fault driver was not insured.

Our experienced insurance attorneys will carefully review your policy to ensure that you obtain maximum coverage for your damages.

[ back to top ]

Who does UIM/UM insurance cover?

UIM and UM coverage will cover you and any passengers involved in an accident with an uninsured driver. Our insurance attorneys urge residents of the Chester County area to invest in this important coverage.

[ back to top ]

What is stacking?

“Stacking” refers to a provision of UIM and UM insurance that allows you to increase your protection by the number of vehicles you have in your household. Although you can waive the “stacking” option and insure just one vehicle, our insurance attorneys recommend taking advantage of full coverage for everyone in your family.

[ back to top ]

What is the difference between a limited tort and a full tort?

Under Pennsylvania law, you have the option of choosing a type of insurance that limits you and your family’s right to seek financial compensation for medical expenses and other damages caused by another negligent driver. This is called a limited tort. Under a limited tort, you and your family members can seek compensation for medical bills and out-of-pocket expenses only. In other words, by purchasing a limited tort, you are giving up your right to pursue compensation for pain and suffering.

A full tort, on the other hand, allows you to seek financial compensation for any pain and suffering you sustain in an accident if the other driver is at fault, regardless of whether you have a serious injury. Our insurance attorneys strongly urge our Chester County, Pottstown and King of Prussia-area clients to select the full tort option on their insurance policy.

[ back to top ]

Why am I required to have $5,000 extra medical coverage on my auto insurance policy?

Pennsylvania law requires you to have at least $5,000 medical expense coverage on your insurance policy. This is to ensure that your medical expenses are adequately covered in the event of a serious accident. The amount of $5,000 has been determined to be the minimum necessary to cover the potential costs of medical expenses.

[ back to top ]

Who is responsible for my medical bills if I exhaust the medical coverage available to me under my auto policy?

If your medical expense benefit is exhausted, you are usually eligible to pass the additional medical costs on to your health insurance plan. However, depending on your type of coverage, your health insurance company may not cover all of your treatments, and may only pay a percentage of your bills.

If your injuries were caused by another driver, you may choose to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party to obtain compensation for your medical bills. Our accident lawyers in Spring City will fight aggressively to help ensure that you are successful in obtaining a fair settlement for your losses.

[ back to top ]

What is subrogation?

Subrogation occurs when your insurance company seeks reimbursement for your medical expenses and/or vehicle damage directly from the negligent party. In essence, your insurance company steps into your shoes to sue the at-fault party on your behalf. Although not all insurance companies will subrogate for medical expenses, they may do so against the other driver’s insurance company or your health insurance company.

[ back to top ]

Who will reimburse me for my lost wages if I am disabled?

Choosing to carry income loss coverage guarantees that you will be compensated for wages that you would have otherwise earned before you were disabled. Although Pennsylvania law does not require you to carry income loss coverage as part of your insurance policy, our attorneys strongly recommend that you do. If you do not have income loss coverage, you will usually have to wait until your case has been settled to obtain compensation for lost wages. This compensation will factor into your total settlement amount, which includes medical expenses, property damage, and pain and suffering.

[ back to top ]

Who pays for property damage?

You will either receive compensation for property damage through your own insurance company or through the company of the at-fault party. If you choose to have your insurance company pay for the damages, you will be required to pay a deductible (which is often reimbursed later by the at-fault party).

If you choose to present your claim to the at-fault party’s insurance company, you may face significant delays in having your vehicle repaired. Furthermore, many drivers only purchase the minimum requirement of $5,000 in property damage coverage, which may not be enough to cover all repairs to your vehicle. Our insurance attorneys will advise you on the best course of action regarding the pursuit of property damage compensation.

[ back to top ]

What is a deductible?

A deductible is the part of your auto insurance policy that you are responsible to pay. All auto insurance policies require you to pay for a portion of your damages, but the amount you are required to pay depends on your policy. For example, if you have a deductible of $500 and your total damages amount to $2500, your insurance company will cover $2000 of the cost of repairs.

[ back to top ]

How can I improve my auto insurance to better protect my family?

The most important aspect of choosing auto insurance is evaluating your needs and your family’s needs. It is important to know how much money you will be willing and/or able to pay in the event of a collision. This will guide your decisions regarding your deductible, property damage coverage, and medical expense coverage. Our insurance attorneys urge you to shop around for the most competitive insurance rates; however, do not choose an insurance company simply because it has the lowest prices. With auto insurance, it is usually worth it to pay a little more for a better, more comprehensive policy from an established company.

[ back to top ]

Contact Our Insurance Attorneys

Insurance disputes can be confusing, but our lawyers are committed to making your claims process as easy as possible. If you have questions about your auto accident or need help understanding your policy, contact our insurance attorneys today. Located in Spring City in Chester County, between Pottstown and King of Prussia, we will be happy to arrange a free consultation.

[ back to top ]